HyDROGEN Water 101
Studies Support Hydrogen Infused Water has Amazing Antioxidant Properties.
1. Your Skin – Molecular hydrogen is considered a novel antioxidant for combating oxidative damage in skin and promoting a youthful appearance. Japanese subjects showed significant improvements in neck wrinkles after bathing in H2 for 90 days.
2. Your Fat – Drinking molecular hydrogen infused water decreases levels of plasma glucose, insulin, and triglyceride, similar to the effect of diet restrictions.
3. Your Brain – Due to its ability to easily cross the blood-brain barrier, molecular hydrogen may assist the well being of those with Parkinson’s disease. In rat models of Alzheimer’s disease, H2 prevented neuroinflammation and improved memory.
4. Athletic Performance & Recovery – Molecular hydrogen may have the potential to improve athletic performance and recovery. A 2012 study concluded, “Adequate hydration with hydrogen-rich water pre-exercise reduced blood lactate levels and improved exercise-induced decline of muscle function.”
5. May help prevent diabetes – In a 2011 study, scientists tested the effects of drinking hydrogen-rich water in 30 patients with Type 2 diabetes. The patients drank 4 cups of hydrogen water each day for eight weeks. The condition of the patients generally improved and several showed no symptoms of the disease.
6. May battle cancerous tumors – Elevated rates of reactive oxygen species (ROS), collectively known as oxidative stress, have been detected in almost all cancers, where they promote many aspects of tumor development and progression. Molecular hydrogen tends to erase the oxidative stress underlying tumor growth.
7. Fights autoimmune disease – Because of its ability to decrease excessive free radicals, H2 can conceivably help battle lupus (SLE) and other autoimmune diseases.
8. Rheumatoid arthritis – Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic inflammatory disease characterized by the destruction of bone and cartilage. A Japanese study indicates that “Consumption of water containing a high concentration of molecular hydrogen reduces oxidative stress and disease activity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.”
9. Corrects DNA damage – According to a study published in the July issue of the International Journal of Radiation Biology, “H2 exerts a significant protection against radiation-induced DNA base damage” and further suggests H2 “corrects DNA damage in the cell’s mitochondria.”
10. Combats allergies – An allergic reaction is an immune reaction when the immune system overreacts to a molecule thinking it’s infectious. Molecular hydrogen calms this reaction.
What is Oxidative Stress?
Like an apple turns brown when exposed to air, our cells can “rust” when we breathe due to oxidative stress, a process caused by free radicals. Our lifestyles are the largest contributor to oxidative stress such as our diet, smoking, exercising, pollution, stress and anxiety all impact oxidation. More precisely, oxidation is defined as the loss of at least one electron when two or more substances interact — this is where free radicals come into play.
What are free radicals?
Free radicals are unstable molecules that damage or “oxidize” cells throughout the body in a process called oxidative stress. Over time, oxidative stress can leave our cells and tissues unable to function properly. Free radicals are believed to cause serious consequences to our health.
- Heart disease
- Inflammatory diseases (i.e., arthritis and lupus)
- Neurological disorders (i.e., Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and muscular dystrophy)
- Accelerated Aging
Because free radicals contribute to disease, hardened arteries and wrinkles, they’re often intertwined with the health problems we experience with age. Avoiding the causes of free radicals and adopting a lifestyle that helps you fight back against them can help you safeguard your health by preventing oxidative stress.
What are Antioxidants?
Antioxidants are natural substances that limit the damage caused by free radicals. Antioxidants can protect and reverse the damage caused by oxidation to some extent.
WHAT ARE THE LIMITATIONS WITH ANTIOXIDANTS?
- Most antioxidants (e.g. Vitamin C) are very large (size and weight) making it difficult for these molecules to transport into cells where they are desperately needed.
- The brain gets the most oxidative stress damage because the brain consumes the most oxygen. However, many antioxidants cannot get past the blood-brain-barrier to neutralize free radicals in the brain. (need a citation)
- Often antioxidants turn into weaker free radicals themselves after neutralizing free radicals. Example: when ascorbic acid donates a hydrogen and an electron to a free radical (R^) it becomes an ascorbyl radical, a weaker free radical byproduct. This ascorbyl radical needs to be taken care of by enzymatic processes which requires resources and energy. (need citation)
Can you consume too many Antioxidants?
The consumption of antioxidants is so important. That said, consuming too many antioxidants through supplements can have a negative effect and has shown to hurt the ability to recover. Hydrogen fights free radicals without the negative effects of antioxidants, making hydrogen infused water an ideal complement to eating an organic and antioxidant rich diet.
How does Hydrogen neutralize free radicals
- Hydrogen Molecules are sacrificial warriors, giving up their own electrons to free radicals which neutralizes free radicals from attacking cells and our DNA.
- Hydrogen also can go on the offensive and break down the free radical molecule, inhibiting its ability to attack cells.
When have I consumed too much Hydrogen?
Different from Antioxidants, Hydrogen fights free radicals without the negative effects, making hydrogen infused water an ideal complement to eating an organic and antioxidant rich diet. Importantly, it appears that you cannot get too much hydrogen, as it doesn’t build up in your system.—you just exhale it out. In many cases there is a clear dose-dependent effect, meaning the more hydrogen the better or greater the effect. But more research needs to be done in this area
PLANT-BASED ANTIOXIDANTS VS MOLECULAR HYDROGEN?
reference: Molecular Hydrogen Foundation
Won’t any dissolved hydrogen gas immediately escape out of the water
Yes, once opening the can, hydrogen does start coming out of the water, but not immediately. Depending on the surface area, agitation, etc., the hydrogen gas can stay in the water for a few hours or longer. This is much like carbonated water or soda that contains carbon dioxide gas (CO2), but because it does leave, it is best to drink the water promptly before it goes “flat”. (see this article also).
How Much Water Should I drink daily?
|We believe in the importance of increasing water consumption each day by adopting an 8 x 8 approach 8 glasses of 8 ounces of water each day. With a good healthy diet people should received approximately 20% of their water from food.
Searching the web, you'll find many articles supporting the consumption of water and its many benefits including:
Still Wanting Info?
|Select from the links below to learn more about a specific topic.|